Saturday, November 10, 2012

Nano Day 9/10 - To Be Pregnant Or Not To Be...Pregnant


Here's the thing with this novel. I have no idea where I'm going with it. The furthest I've gotten in my mind is that the main character meets these people, works with them, befriends them, and then just, funny things happen? Until the end, of course, where MC will get caught in all the lies that she's been telling. But I feel like most of the ideas I've had, beyond those, are just the characters hanging out. It's like a comedy on TV where once you like all the characters, you don't need something to happen in the episode. The story doesn't really need to progress with plot development because it's enjoyable just to be spending that half hour laughing or smiling with an inner chuckle.

I'm not sure that will work for this book.

The main issue, though, is I can't decide if the main character, Sydney, should really be pregnant or not. While she's no longer in high school, it would still be tough to find out your pregnant on the cusp of college, where you expected to finally find freedom. Maybe I'm being a chicken, but I don't want to write about a character with these fears of motherhood and the unknown hanging over her head, of adding yet another character to the world whose experiencing morning sickness and weird cravings and everything else that has been beaten to death in movies and TV. Speaking of beatings, I really don't want to do a birth scene, especially since there's another character in the novel who's pregnant who will be giving birth in the novel. I'm already trying to figure out how to reduce that section to something like "*20 hours later* oh my gosh, there's a baby here!" It's easier to avoid when it's a minor character, at least.

What may be interesting though is for her to think she's pregnant, for one of her new friends to also think she's pregnant, only for Sydney to find out she's not. But because she's kind of become the pathological liar of all pathological liars, she doesn't tell this person she's not really pregnant, and eventually get's to the point where she has to start faking the symptoms, where she's contemplating how she's going to make herself look rounder and full in the face.

I've already chosen a path for the purpose of this nano draft (if you read that correctly, it rhymes), but that doesn't mean I can't totally change it in the future. I'll just have to see how this works out.

THING I DON'T UNDERSTAND:
Why I wait until 11 pm to be productive with writing. I am my own worst enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment